Healthy Holiday Eating
Do you feel you are surrounded by a sea of sweets and can't control the urge to indulge? Don't let the temptation take you over! You can enjoy without the guilt! Here are some healthy tips to keep in mind during the holidays.
1. Be real with yourself. Don't try to lose weight during the holidays. Set expectations and focus on just trying to maintain weight.
2. Make exercise a priority and plan time for it. If you don't, no one else will do it for you so do it for yourself. It will help not only keep off the holiday pounds but will help alleviate stress. Try 15 minutes a day of a brisk walk outside with the dog or with the family.
3. Try eating a light snack before heading to a party. If the party is later, make sure to eat substance before heading to the party. This will alleviate the need to over-indulge.
4. Balance. If you have a large meal or do over-indulge at one meal, go light on the next. If you eat a late dinner and go to bed late, wait at least 12 hours for the food to digest before eating your next meal. Remember it takes an extra 500 calories a day (3500 a week) to gain a pound so that one dessert won't hurt anyone!
5. Be careful with alcohol. That doesn't mean you must eliminate it altogether, but calories add up and so do bad food choices and overeating after drinking.
6. Portion control. Try eating on a smaller plate and sitting down to eat. Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed. Savor the food and enjoy the party!
7. Water. Make sure you consume water throughout that holiday party, especially between alcoholic drinks and bites. This will also help with the feeling of fullness and help with digestion.
8. Practice mindful eating. Rather than standing next to the food table taking nibbles while chatting, take a plate and sit down to eat. Listen to your body and your body will tell you when its satisfied. It still requires self-control but being conscious of what you are putting into your body makes it easier to make healthy choices.
Like these healthy tips and want to stay on top of HighLine Pure promotions? Sign up for our newsletter starting in January by clicking here!